Present International & National Responsibilities:
Associate Editor, J. Applied Physics (American Institute of Physics) U.S.A.
Associate Editor, IET Science, Measurement & Technology:
(Institutions of Engineering and Technology), London, U.K.,
Editorial Board Member:
i ). J.Nanoparticle Research, Springer and
ii). J. of Physics – Parmana, IAS, Bangalore.
Head SASD-04 Division 2010-14.
Head Materials Physics & Engineering Division 2015-16
Since May 2016, Head, Environmental Sciences and Biomedical Metrology Division DU#3
Dr. Kotnala (59 Yrs. old) has got 33 years experience as a Scientist in National Lab, currently Chief Scientist for last 7 years and Professor AcSIR & in Professor’s grade since 2003. Dr. Kotnala after completing his masters in Physics did Ph.D from IIT Delhi in 1982 under the supervision of Prof.K.L.Chopra.Whereas he has acquired diversified experience as distinguished Metrologist, Physicist, Nanoscience Materials Scientist having intimate interaction with 112 industries based on ISO:17025,16 Universities & 6 IITs.
First Ph.D on Silicon Solar Cell in India from IIT Delhi in 1982 & authored first book in India on – Essentials of Solar Cell – besides delivers talks on policy & chairing meetings. Guided & Worked for creation of new department of Advanced Materials & Nanoscience in different 5 Universities.
President,Vice President & Secretary of different learned Societies besides Governing Body, Academic Council,Court member of Engineering institutions.
Dr. R.K. Kotnala expertise is in Electronic Materials, Sensors & Devices such as Multiferroics, Nano-Ferrite, Spintronic Devices, Dilute Magnetic Semiconductor, Spin Hall Effect, Humidity Sensor and Solar Cell Technology & Hydroelectric Cell.
Published 340 research papers in prestigious international journals, in 2016 alone papers citations in last 10 months are 803.+ 9 US patents (1 provisional) + 4 Books & 3 Chapters have been authored + 10 industrial consultancies.
+ 112 industries are being supported for quality system based on ISO:17025. Delivered more than 320 invited talks and honoured with Advisory member/Chairman in several international and national conferences. Member, Editorial Board of international journals.
- PM2.5 sampler technology has been transferred to…..
Unique International Recognitions of Dr.Kotnala.
1. 838 times work citations in 2017 alone & 334 citations in last 3 months.
2. Associate Editor, J. Applied Physics, U.S.A (A highly reputed journal).
3. Fellow – National Academy of Sciences, Fellow – APAM, Asia Pacific Academy of Materials,(Japan, china, Taiwan etc). It is recognition as outstanding specialists in material science and technology who have made significant contributions to cooperation in Asia-Pacific Region.
4. Handbook of Magnetic Materials Vol.3,2015;edited by K.H.J. Buschow published by Elsevier North-Holland Largest scientific publisher of USA wherein I have contributed a chapter of 91 pages on:“Ferrite Materials:Nano to Spintronics Regime”
5. Ethical Issues on Nanotechnology: (Making cautious on environmental pollution implications of engineered nano-materials, of possible ways to handle materials as nano hazards).
For the first time a chapter published on “Ethical Issues on Nanoscience & Nanotechnology” in a book New Nanotechniques published by Nova science Publisher, New York in 2009.
6. Global Conference on Materials Science and Engineering (CMSE 2013) was held by Hubei University of Science and Technology in China, during Nov. 20~22, 2013, Chairman Program Committee.
7. Office of Naval Research (ONR), Washington, USA had entrusted in his work on multiferroics for development of electromagnetic sensor with Italy group and awarded 0.105 million $ US as a contract project in 2011.
8. i) Editorial Board Member of International Journal: IET Science, Measurement & Technology: Published by Institutions of Engineering and Technology, London, U.K. It publishes about 19 Journals in science, engineering and technology.
ii) Editorial Board Member of J. Nanoparticle Research, Netherland; Springer Publishers.
iii)Editorial Board Member Pramana – Journal of Physics,Banglore,India.
9. Technical member in Asia Pacific Metrology Programme Meeting Nov.2012 in New Zealand.
10. Technical Programme Member & Session Chairman in International Conference CPEM 2010, S. Korea
11. Keynote Speaker in Global Congress & Expo on Materials Science & Nanoscience during October 24-26, 2016 for which NOBEL LAUREATE PROF. ALAN J. HEEGER was the Chief Guest. Speech title: Nanoporous Magnesium Ferrite Innovated to Act as Electrical Power Source – An Alternative to Solar Cell & Fuel Cell
12. International Advisory Committee member for the 2016 EMN Croatia Meeting at Dubrovnik,Croatia during May 4-7,2016
13.Session Chairman & Invited talk in the Energy Materials & Nanotechnology, EMN, Spring Meeting to take place at Taipei, Taiwan from March 8 to 11 2016.
14.Keynote Address at World Congress of Smart Materials-2016 (WCSM-2016) in March 4-6, 2016, Singapore Topic : Nano Oscillator Fabrication in Fe/Pt bilayer based on Inverse Spin Hall Effect – An Innovative Approach !
Research, Experience in Managing University system & Industries:
Experience in creating a world-class laboratory/business and managing its research/development activities:
Distinguished member of Academic Council, Court of Universities & Governing Body in different institutions at national level (listed in honours/awards).
President, Nano-Biotechnology Society IIT Mandi.( 2013- continued ).
UGC nominee in the Governing Council of G. Pulla Reddy Engineering College (Autonomous) KURNOOL – 518 002, A.P.
Academic Council Member, D.C.R. Univ. Sci. & Tech. Murthal.( 2008-14);presently Court Member.
Advisory member in Aligarh Muslim Univ. Dr. Ambedkar Univ, Lucknow ,Aryabhatta Knowledge Univ. Patna.
Governing Council Member, Electronics & Quality Development Centre (Min. of IT & Communication), Gandhi Nagar and Vadodara.( 2008-2014).
In 2003 Chaired M.Sc/ M.Tech Nanoscience& Nanotechnology syllabus development Workshop held in Gwalior (Rajiv Gandhi Technical University ).
Played a key role to create a new department of Advanced Material & Nano science at DRC University of Sci& Tech, Sonepat& Center for Nanoscience and Nanotechnology at Aligarh Muslim Univ.,Dr.AmbedkarUniv, Lucknow , Aryabhatta Knowledge Univ.Patna etc.
Coordinated activities related to 7 SI base units in a newly created Metrology building based on ISO: 17025 ( 12000Sqm) super technical 5th Lab in world.
- More than 320 invited talks delivered atdifferent national & international forum and guided 12 students for Ph.D., 26 M.Tech,14B.Tech students.
Special efforts in Energy Sector at Global & National Level:
Solar Energy: Dr.Kotnala is first Ph.D on Solar Cell in India from IIT Delhi in 1982 & authored first book in India on – Essentials of Solar Cell – besides delivering talks on policy & chaired meeting.
Developed a low cost process for fabrication of Solar Cell
Degradation in Efficiency & Health of a Transformer using Recycled steel.
A special effort has been initiated by Dr. Kotnala by addressing experts from CPRI, Bangalore, CEA, Nippon Steel, ABB & Indian Transformer Manufacturer Association on May 2015.
To save energy from Distribution Transformer in two ways as:
- Understanding Ageing Effects in Transformer Core
- (ii) Not to use Recycle Core material in Transformer.As small increase in efficiency say 0.5% of the distribution transformers in India would result in annual saving of 4 to 5 Billion KWh together with reduced carbon emission (C02) of 4 M Tonnes per year.
Strategic Projects Undertaken:
Magnetic Device Development for Seed treating by NPL & IARI – Magneto-Priming: Development of an experimental prototype magneto priming of vegetable seeds and conduct field trial for the performance evaluation of the treated seeds : A collaborative work with IARI, Pusa has shown interesting preliminary results of about 25 % – 35 % increase in the yield for tomato, cucumber etc& 14 % for paddy.
CSIR-Research initiatives on Nano Sensors & Devices Project Coordinator from 2012 (Rs. 3.5 crores project).
Office of Naval Research (ONR), Washington, USA had entrusted in Dr.Kotnala work on multiferroics for development of electromagnetic sensor with Italy group and awarded 0.105 million $ US as a contract project in 2011 ( Due to non clearance of security funds were refunded).
Coordinated activities of super technical building works, Rs. 59.6 Crore, related to 7 SI base units in a newly created Metrology building based on ISO: 17025 ( 12500Sqm) super technical 5th Lab in world.
Established two Labs at international level. A laboratory for primary standards for 10 magnetic measurements parameters in the preview of ISO:17025 for International Bureau of Weights & Measure, (BIPM) France
- Rs.1.47 Crores Project by CSIR to Dr. Kotnala (Jan 2016) on A novel green electrical energy source development for daily needs.
Infrastructure Developed at NPL:
1.Coordinated activities of super technical building works, Rs. 59.6 Crore, related to 7 SI base units in a newly created Metrology building based on ISO: 17025 ( 12500Sqm) super technical 5th Lab in world.
2.Established two Labs at international level. A laboratory for primary standards for 10 magnetic measurements parameters in the preview of ISO:17025 for International Bureau of Weights & Measure, (BIPM) France
3.Also established an advanced R&D lab, state-on-art, on “Multiferroic & Magnetics Materials” at NPL with high international recognition.
4.Helium liquefier facility (Turbine based) Rs. 8.2 Crore Project Leader at NPL. Facility was got erected & commissioned successfully in Oct 2012 after working for one & half years, this new central facility work coordination responsibility was given to me. It is being operated with and without LN2 pre-cooling at a rate of liquefaction: minimum ~ 25 liters /hour without LN2 pre-cooling & minimum ~ 50 liters/hour with LN2 pre-cooling. In six months 6500 litters of liquid Helium has been produced by this facility.
5. Transformed NPL Canteen (in 2008) into Macdonald like Cafeteria in terms of infrastructure & hygiene.